A fire in your home is a devastating experience, both for your family and all your personal belongings. You may be wondering what you can do to further protect your home, or if you should only let a professional take care of the area. Smoke and fire damage is a tricky thing to deal with, so it is very important to have a professional restoration company handle that aspect of fire damage restoration.
Before the professionals start your fire damage restoration project, here are some things to do after a fire:
- Limit activity and foot traffic in your home. Staying off of carpet, furniture, and upholstery is key to preventing soot, dirt, and other particles from getting trapped all around your home.
- If you do need to get around your home quite a bit, put down clean towels or sheets on the floor and furniture.
- If possible, change filters in your home to keep dirt and soot from circulating.
- Don’t try to wash the walls or carpet — leave that for the professionals to avoid permanent damage.
- Don’t try to clean kitchen appliances yourself. After a fire, electrical connections and wiring may be damaged and could cause further problems if not cleaned carefully and correctly.
- Don’t eat any food that may have been exposed to the fire and smoke.
With these tips and professional fire damage restoration services, you can minimize fire damage to your home and make the restoration process easier. At Spangler Restoration, we are the ones you can trust to take care of your home after any disaster. Contact us today!