The effects of a burst or frozen plumbing pipe can be devastating. The best solution is to enlist the help of a team of professionals who have the knowledge required to rectify the situation efficiently and promptly. But, before calling them, there are some do’s and don’ts that homeowners can follow to ensure that damage is minimized and that the cleanup operation goes as quickly as possible.
• Turn off the source of water immediately.
• Mop up excess water; this will prevent further damage and make the process of repairing a burst plumbing pipe a lot faster, as well as preventing secondary damage. Open all the windows to dry rooms out, and use a dehumidifier or fan to speed up the process.
• Phone the home restoration/plumbing company – they will tell you about other things you can do before their arrival.
DON’T (under ANY circumstances):
• Lift or remove carpeting.
• Apply heat to affected areas as this could cause more damage.
• Use detergent, bleach or other cleaning products on the affected areas.
Note: There are a number of other incorrect actions that may potentially invalidate an insurance claim involving a burst plumbing pipe. That’s why it’s important to work with a house restoration specialist. You don’t want your insurance company to find any reasons not to pay!
At Spangler Restoration in Charlotte, NC, we are a team of restoration, cleaning and remodeling professionals who offer disaster repair & cleaning for residential and commercial properties. We guarantee fast emergency response and the latest technology. Please contact us for more information.